Goals and Benefits
Goal of Pacific Alliance:
To significantly increase the number of Individuals with Disabilities (IWD) in STEM postsecondary education programs and the STEM workforce in Hawai‘i.
Pacific Alliance Staff will support Disability Students Services Providers and STEM faculty at the University of Hawaii to enhance opportunities for students with disabilities to improve their grades, stay in college, and matriculate in STEM programs by:
- Build basic academic skills in reading, mathematics, and writing via academic tutors;
- Recruit and train tutors in STEM specific tutoring;
- Develop Personalized Plans to address students with disabilities individualized STEM needs; and/or
- Build internship program; and
- Facilitate entry, if desired, into advanced degree programs.
- Develop Participant (student) individualized plans;
- Provide mentor training;
- Facilitate mentor/mentee collaborations;
- Provide guidance on accommodation needs and self-advocacy skills;
- Provide information and use on assistive technology; and/or
- Collaborate with a STEM area role model.
Specifically relating AT to STEM fields.
- Learn about careers from employees in STEM careers;
- Facilitate internship relationships; and
- Pave the way for IWD in STEM programs to enter the STEM workforce.